Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tri Season is Over


I completed the inaugural SWAT tri at Chain O'Lakes State Park yesterday. I went in to it with mixed expectations. Not really expecting to do well with the lack of real bike training this last few months but hoping I might eek out something from the legs. It turned out the accumulation of miles over the last few years does help. I had a better than expected swim in which I believe I caught everyone from the wave ahead of me (4:00 seperation). Once on the bike I just kept telling myself to conserve yet push a little if that makes sense. The run was challenging due to the hills in the park. It was difficult to pick out the age groupers from the collegiate racers that were 15 min ahead and part of a seperate race. Plus the sprint and Olympic races were going on simultaneously. At one point I was pretty sure I was leading the race even with a 4 min cushion on a few guys that were in the wave behind. However there was a 20 year old age grouper that I must have mistaken for one of the collegiate racers. He beat me by :10 seconds. If I had known he was that close would I have been able to make up the time? Hard to say. Just another lesson to always go as hard as you can when racing with wave starts. Two second places this summer for not pushing hard enough at times. Aside from the racing it was a miserable day out with rain and cool temps. Big props out to my wife for coming out to support me. She hung out with Gavin and our newest addition to the family, Tucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment