Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Last week was overall a good week of training. I had some good runs and swam once and rode the bike twice as well. It was a challenge to do anything outside with the avg. temp something like 10 degrees all week. It was -16 on Friday when I went to work. I was contemplating going with a coaching service for the season and looked at a few different possibilities. Overall though I feel that I have the knowledge to train properly. I have a degree in Kinesiology and have been running for over 20 years now. I'm not saying that I know it all but I definately feel confident in setting up a plan that will work for me. I think I was just looking for someone to be more accountable to, someone that says why didn't you do the intervals yesterday or should you maybe take a break? For now I'm not going to sign on with a coach.
It's definately time to make some solid decisions on races for the season besides Ironman Wisconsin. I would like to find something to race at every month. I've always said I would do this and then the first few months get away from me and then I get into full training and hate to take a day away from that. This year I'll try again and if I have to I'll add to the race to get a full training day in. Foolish? Maybe but it may be fun. Reading some posts over on Jog.Hard have me thinking that it's to easy to be a great trainer but a bad racer. I think if you race more often it helps develop that feel. That "killer instinct" that is needed to chase down competitors. I've felt that lacking a bit over the last 5 years. Am I getting soft? old? or am I just afraid to hurt like I used to? Hopefully more racing will rekindle that instinct. Time to find a race for January!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment