Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ironman is out

It is official, I have withdrawn from IM Louisville. I've just accepted the fact I am not meant to do long races in hot conditions. I fooled myself into thinking I could learn to overcome it this summer. However the mild temps at Racing for Recovery putting my in the hurt locker for 6 hours proved otherwise. I gave myself 3 weeks to really think it through and the decision feels right. I'll get back in the swing of things here and find some shorter (Oly and Sprint) races to do. That has always been my real strength. I want to really build some fitness for a fast 1/2 marathon and then cyclocross season. Unfortunately this mornings run felt really sloppy not hard but not smooth either. I guess that is what comes with "variable volume trainging"(borrowed that term from Joghard) the last 2 1/2 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know know how anybody with kids and a job can find time to train for an IM... That's the main reason I don't do tri's anymore... The heat really didn't bother me during IM.. (IMF X 5) Heck, I remember one year an Muncie where I think it was around 90 at the finish... yuck! You def. kick butt in Oly and shorter... stick with your strengths.

    ReplyDelete